Post Malone will take Travis Scott’s headline slot for Day N Vegas festival which is set to take place on November 13. The late switch was made when Scott cancelled his scheduled performance, in the wake of the tragic scenes that unfolded during his set on 5th November at Houston’s Astroworld festival.
He is “too distraught to play” since eight people lost their lives and hundreds were injured in the “mass casualty” crowd surge at Scott’s festival. In a statement, the rapper said he was “absolutely devastated” and that his “prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened”.
On Monday night, the festival organizers confirmed Scott will no longer be performing at the event. “The security and safety of all attending Day N Vegas has been and is always top of priority in our festival planning,” they said in a statement. “We continue to work hand in hand with law enforcement, medical personnel and public safety agencies on our protocols for the weekend.”
Organizers announced Scott’s replacement shortly afterwards. “We are excited that Post Malone has been added to close out Saturday night,” they wrote alongside a photo of Post Malone and the weekend’s set times.
Experts have since claimed that Astroworld organizers “weren’t prepared” for the large crowds, while lawsuits against Scott and promoters Live Nation continue to grow.
Additional concert cancellations have been announced in the wake of the Astroworld tragedy. The Houston Open Concert series, which was originally scheduled to take place from November 11 to November 14 at Minute Maid Park where Astroworld was held, was nixed on Monday, ABC13 reports. Ticket sales to Billy Joel’s scheduled show at the venue were slated to go on sale Friday, but sales have been halted.
“Out of respect for the Houston community after the events at Astroworld on Friday, organizers for the upcoming Billy Joel concert scheduled for Minute Maid Park in Houston on Friday, September 23, today announced they are delaying the on sale until further notice,” Live Nation said in a statement on Monday via KHOU-11. “Tickets were scheduled to go on sale on Friday, November 12 at 10 a.m. Organizers will provide an update shortly on when ticket sales will begin.”
Meanwhile, the city of Houston has named the eight people who passed away as a result of the crowd crush that occurred during Travis Scott’s Astroworld set. The victims’ ages range between 14 to 27.
It has also been reported that a nine year old boy is in a medically induced coma after he sustained “life-threatening injuries” at the event.
Just last week, Malone dropped a new collaborative track with The Weeknd, “One Right Now,” which ventures into synthwave territory, a fresh turn for the “Rockstar” singer. It marks the first single from Malone’s upcoming fourth album.